Job Title: Control Systems Engineer
Reports to: Technology Manager
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxfordshire
As a Control Systems Engineer you will mainly be responsible for (but not limited to) the duties described in this job description.
Job Purpose & Context
This role exists to be one of the key players in the design and development of PLC / PC software for both machine accessories and retro-fits, for both current and new equipment and automation. It is one of a group of multi-functional Engineers with the ability to identify and problem solve issues related to production processes, equipment, and manufacturability.
· Works in conjunction with mechanical, electrical and automation engineering, and colleagues in Research & Development in the development of current machines, and the design of new machines with particular focus on all aspects of software including development and maintenance
· Project manages with hands-on ownership of all aspects of software developments, from detailed design through to final validation
· Ensure all prototypes are programmed to the correct/desired standard and are validated for use
· Assisting the R&D, Service & Support and Manufacturing teams as and when required (time permitting)
· Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
· Occasional travelling may be required for this post
Key Relationships and Interfaces
· Line Manager for day-to-day direction
· Engineering, Research & Development, Service & Support and Manufacturing
Academic Qualifications or Key Knowledge
· Degree qualified in an Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering or similar discipline
· HNC/HND qualified candidates considered with significant practical experience
Skills & Experience
· 3+ years in machine / automation software development
· Specific experience of working with industrial machinery within a technical environment, not just a general software engineering or infrastructure background
· Multi language PLC / PAC programming capabilities; Omron-Sysmac, Siemens TIA, Rockwell – ControlLogix/CompactLogix, Opto 22 desirable
· Experience in HMI design
· Proficient in software troubleshooting
· Experience in rapid architecture design and code reformatting
· Flowchart creation and management
· Creating / participating in FMEAs
· Design of Experiment programs and Design Verification Plans
· Wide development experience, with exposure to all aspects of supplier sourcing, prototyping, design validation, mass production release
· Experience of CE / UL standards would be advantageous, including; Safety of machinery — General principles for design — Risk assessment and risk reduction ISO 12100, Safety of machinery — Safety related parts of control systems BS EN ISO 13849
· Proficient in the preparation of all related documentation
· Organisational awareness and commitment
· Planning and Organising
· Flexibility and Adaptability
· Customer Awareness
Generic Health & Safety Responsibilities
· Take reasonable care of your own health and safety
· Take reasonable care not to put other people - fellow employees and members of the public - at risk by what you do or don't do in the course of your work
· Co-operate with the Company, making sure you get proper training and you understand and follow the company's health and safety policies
· Not to interfere with or misuse anything that's been provided for your health, safety or welfare
· Report any injuries, strains or illnesses you suffer as a result of doing your job
· Tell your employer if something happens that might affect your ability to work (e.g. becoming pregnant or suffering an injury)
· If you drive or operate machinery, to tell your employer if you take medication that makes you drowsy - they should temporarily move you to another job if they have one for you to do
This job description should be regarded only as guidance to the duties required and is not definitive or restrictive in any way. It may be reviewed in the light of changing circumstances following consultation with the job holder.
Please note: Only Candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding their application. If you are not successful with this role we may however contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
Please note that no terminology in this job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person's gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Candidates will only be assessed on their merits, qualifications and abilities in relation to the role.
Your application was submitted successfully.