Job Title: Senior Automation Engineer
Department: Technical Group
Reports to: Head of Automation
As an Automation Engineer you will mainly be responsible for (but not limited to) the duties described in this job description.
Job Purpose & Context
As a technology business, there is an immediate plan to take P2i manufacturing equipment to the next level, heavily involving automated techniques. It is essential that these machines are both developed and production viable to a high standard to ensure they can be seamlessly transferred to the manufacturing team and customer sites.
He/she will support the design, development and implementation of improved automated production methods, including the development and validation of automated handling, masking and process equipment, performance monitors and training. The successful candidate will need to identify and solve problems related to production processes, equipment, and manufacturability.
He/she will be an excellent communicator and will ultimately ensure that P2i’s innovative technology is implemented and maintained efficiently and within the parameters defined.
In addition, there will be development projects looking at re-designing the systems and trialling new hardware as the individual projects dictate.
· Evaluate manufacturing processes; applying knowledge of equipment design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials; conferring with equipment vendors; soliciting observations from operators
· Develop manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; conferring with equipment vendors
· Liaises with equipment vendors for the completion of equipment specifications
· Ensure automation equipment successfully navigate the P2i TRL system from concept to hand over to implementation team
· Project manage aspects of automation development, from proof of concept to detailed design through to final validation
· Ensure all machines are built to the correct/desired standard and are validated for use
· Responsible for the support of transfer of automated equipment to manufacturing and customer sites
· Complete all projects by training and guiding operators and technicians
· Capable of working alone or in conjunction with other team members and internal / external customers.
· Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as required
· Line management duties of industrial engineer
· Up to 30% international travel
· Assisting the R&D, Service & Support and Manufacturing teams as and when required
Key Relationships and Interfaces
· Line Manager for day-to-day direction
· Engineering, R&D team, S&S and Manufacturing
Academic Qualifications or Key Knowledge
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Design or Manufacturing (preferred); other technical qualifications considered
Essential Skills & Experience
· 15+ years in mechanical design / manufacturing role with western company
· Excellent Solidworks design capabilities (component & assemblies); other design packages considered
· ‘Cradle to grave’ development experience, with exposure to supplier sourcing, prototyping, design validation, mass production release
· Machine maintenance, repair, upgrade retrofits and validation
· BOM creation (mechanical, electrical & software), and management
· Exposure to manufacturing proof of concept trials, industrialisation & release to development
· The candidate needs excellent problem solving skills and must possess and be able to demonstrate a flair for creativity and innovation
· Must be able to work on their own initiative and demonstrate flexible organisational, time management and prioritisation skills, between multiple projects
· Ability & willingness to work under pressure and to tight timescales
· Experience of CE / UL machinery safety standards would be advantageous
· Good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate at all levels
Desirable Skills & Experience
· Experience in machine development / manufacturing / maintenance engineering
· Proficient in the preparation of all related documentation, including assembly and test instructions
· Participating in activities with cross disciplinary project teams
· Organisational awareness and commitment
· Planning and Organising
· Flexibility and Adaptability
· Initiative and Ability to work under pressure
Generic Health & Safety Responsibilities
· Take reasonable care of your own health and safety
· Take reasonable care not to put other people - fellow employees and members of the public - at risk by what you do or don't do in the course of your work
· Co-operate with the Company, making sure you get proper training and you understand and follow the company's health and safety policies
· Not to interfere with or misuse anything that's been provided for your health, safety or welfare
· Report any injuries, strains or illnesses you suffer as a result of doing your job
· Tell your employer if something happens that might affect your ability to work (e.g. becoming pregnant or suffering an injury)
· If you drive or operate machinery, to tell your employer if you take medication that makes you drowsy - they should temporarily move you to another job if they have one for you to do
This job description should be regarded only as guidance to the duties required and is not definitive or restrictive in any way. It may be reviewed in the light of changing circumstances following consultation with the job holder.
Please note: Only Candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding their application. If you are not successful with this role we may however contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
Please note that no terminology in this job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person's gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Candidates will only be assessed on their merits, qualifications and abilities in relation to the role.